Monday 15 April 2013

sometimes you just gotta dive in. . .


. . . even if you really don't know where you're heading.



I have now got a grand total of five posts that I have started and run out of steam with.

But - here's the thing  - I really do want to start writing here again on a regular basis, I guess I just need to get back in the habit.
Like just doing what I used to do, moan about stuff that pisses me off and write about things that happen in the course of my lazy extremely busy life.

(And do far too much of that stupid ironic clever ridiculous thing where you write something then cross it out in the vague hope that because other people find it funny).

So. . .

I finished work early today and went into the town centre to run a few errands, then decided I deserved a treat from Burger King. As I'm sat there stuffing my face I can see a homeless man sat in a doorway opposite. He just looked so dejected, he had his head down most of the time, like he'd given up even trying to beg.
After I'd finished my food I bought a takeaway and a coffee and went and gave it to him.
As the guy looked up and smiled at me he actually looked like he might cry.

I didn't do it for the karma, I did it because I figured he would be hungry, it was cold, and he looked like he needed someone to at least SEE him.

But. . .



I walked on a bit further, but I had a few shopping bags that were getting awkward to carry so I stopped to sort them out. Whilst I'm doing this a couple walked past me, having come from the direction where the homeless guy was sat.
As they passed me I heard the fella say . . . "sat there begging but he can afford a Burger King".

Idiot.

I nearly said something.
But I didn't.
Even homeless people got to eat. But I suppose he's probably one of those twats who think the only reason people beg is to buy heroin and vodka.



Also, I am getting very pissed off at all the fiasco over Maggie Thatcher.
Mostly the cost of the funeral, at the same time as various benefit cuts are being introduced. This country is going down the financial pan pretty fucking past. I know there are other countries far worse off then us, but it seems to me that the priorities are wrong here.



Last week I watched an article on the news about the benefit cuts, there was an interview with a single mother who was crying because she was worried about becoming homeless. She said she couldn't even afford to take her son swimming.
Then five minutes later on the same programme they announce that the queen is to be given extra money from the civil list (ie tax payers money) to cover the cost of her "royal duties". How does someone who is among the worlds richest people and who owns several very large houses get to be entitled to more of our hard earned taxes when some of her "subjects" are living in cardboard boxes ? Or in fear that they might end up doing that ?

And just what exactly are those "royal duties". Holidays to far flung places to shake hands with dictators, terrorists and despots no doubt.



I don't like paying tax. It hurts when I look at my wage slip and see what I actually earnt compared to what I actually get in the bank. But there was a time when I was a single mother with a young child and I am very fucking grateful that I live in a county where our rent was taken care of and where healthcare is free. And I know that other peoples taxes paid for that so I can't really complain too loudly if mine are now doing that for someone else.

However I do object to funding Liz's lifestyle.
Or Maggies funeral.

Guess this means I'm well and truly back :)

18 comments:

  1. It is so incredibly awesome what you did for that man yet absolutely disgusting at the same time that those people would just assume and be judgemental that he wasn't homeless at seeing him eating. So kind of you to buy the man some food, it really was. The expense of the funeral of Thatcher annoys me too although I'm not a huge Thatcher hater, she is a person after all, ridiculous expenses all the same though, great to see you back to normal Cow Girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wish more people would do that, you often hear people say that beggars just do so for drugs etc, nobody seems to think they might just do it for the things the rest of us take for granted.

      And thanks, it seems I am.

      Delete
  2. Certainly does seem like it and while I was reading the post (Well done on not just feeding the homeless, but on not killing the arrogant twat) I was hoping you would mention Thatcher. I think this really might be one of the nails in the coffin. As tired as I am though of the tories and their neverending war on the poor, I'm also getting tired of people complaining and complaining and not really doing anything about it. I'm not advocating riots, but at the same time I am really. Which is why I said that this funeral could be one of the last nails in the coffin. The celebrations of her death were akin to riots and this thing is pretty much a minefield. Everyone is expecting something to kick off, and I am going to be incredibly surprised if this funeral goes off without a hitch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had I wrote this before the event I would've said me too.
      But apparently it didn't, which did surprise me, but I wonder if perhaps the events in Boston meant that people who didn't feel an obligation to be there stayed away.

      Just in case the IRA showed up.

      Delete
  3. I admire what you did for the man at Burger King!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eva, as already said, I just wish more people would do so.

      Delete
  4. You could write a post about that first picture. Like why in the world anyone would dive into water when they had no neck? Or hands, feet, and, apparently, no ass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you're ever feeling uninspired, pull some pieces of paper out of a hat; it works for the Family Guy writers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like this idea, you might've accidentally stumbled on a use for the endless receipts and bus/train tickets in the bottom of my bag.

      Delete
  6. Oh you are back alright...and glad to see it. Now coming from a Yank, I could give you a few tips on how to start a revolution against the taxes...first you throw all the tea in the harbor.....It worked out pretty good for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might just take you up on that, I live near a harbour too....

      Delete
  7. Welcome back. If you're back. Otherwise, we'll see you when you get back. Probably.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you really buy 140 nurses for £10 million? That looks like a pretty good deal if you're a billionaire looking for a hareem, even without the teachers and soldiers thrown in. You should have told them you'd bought him lunch, it would have given them some much-needed shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have to stop myself from saying something, but I have better things to waste my energy on then trying to educate morons.

      Delete
  9. Well hello you, nice to see you back, and in good form to:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Flip and Janie.

    Yes I am indeed back.

    @Kiki, nice to see you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I managed with great aplomb to miss the entire funeral... apart from losing count of the policemen and cars in my short walk from St Pancras to my office block at Euston station that was all I really noticed of the day - oh yes and the bizarre road closures near the campus (I work for a uni in Bloomsbury) that meant Bloomsbury was almost traffic free around lunchtime ... I then luckily had been invited to a meeting an hour or so from where I live in the evening to "do the chair" so I dashed in had a sarnie and shot out to get back again after 10:30 pm so missed all news! Result!

    However in the scheme of things £10m on her funeral is a "so what" moment. The BoE has pumped in £375bl (yes billion) in QE that is over £6,000 per household in Britain.... you seen any of that? No... Banks bonuses seem to still be being paid out from banks that were broke but have taken the QE money to reinject into the economy (some Eaton twit tells me that) but er... looks to me it is only helping some

    Oh dear... ranting again - whenever Thatcher is mentioned I start ranting again ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hip, hip HOORAY!! I've missed ya, DCG.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something I don't know.
Comments are moderated so spam me and you're going in the bin.