Monday 16 April 2012

hobbytime


Number one on the list of things I fucking hate at the moment :
The fucking A-Z blogging challenge.
I have enough trouble keeping up with my followed blogs, although the advantage of that is that when I do spend some time reading there is usually a few posts on each so I get to enjoy them more. But thanks to that fucking stupid challenge everyone has been posting just about every fucking day and I don't see how I am ever going to catch up unless I take a week off work.



Next time I'm going to do the bloody thing myself and write about 3000 words for each letter.
That'll teach you.

A is for arseholes, B is for buggery, C is for. . . . .

When I first started this blog I used to find myself thinking whenever anything caught my interest, annoyed me, made me laugh or just made me think that I would bore you lot with it write about here. Now, especially since the post holiday lull in my sensibilites (which still continues three months later) I find myself looking for things to get to me in some way just so I have something different to write about. It's sometimes a comment that I leave on another blog that seems to provide me with inspiration, especially when the author has written about a topic that brings up a memory or says something that I agree with and want to add to.
Although if I don't have the time to read any that's not going to happen either.
I reckon it must be easier to find writing material if you have a themed blog because it's focus is going to be something that you are interested in and passionate about, and therefore have a lot to say about too. That would never really work for me - whilst there's a lot of things I think about doing then decide I can't be arsed do there is nothing I do often or for long enough to really call it a hobby.

Unless you consider smoking, sleeping, eating chocolate, drinking coffee and farting to be hobbies.


I've always been the same.
When I was younger I would take up an interest in something - usually creative - get whatever equipment I needed, then get bored with it. In my bedroom in the house I grew up in was a huge floor to ceiling cupboard that by the time I left home and my Mum cleared it out was full of half finished projects. Rug making kits, half done paintings, tapestries, sketch books, knitting, half made clothes, and endless junk that I had collected because I "could make something out of that".
I did - a mess.
The end result is that I became a bit of a Jack of All Trades when it comes to craft type things. I like to think I'm a bit artisitic, if I see someone else attempting something I'll stick my nose in and tell them where they are going wrong want to join in and help, and sometimes that inspires me to go and get the stuff I need to start my own.
Which eventually ends up in the big cupboard I now have in my house.

It's the same with DIY projects, those that really need doing because something is broken get done there and then but anything else can wait. Why do now what you can put off for six months. I have a lot of bits of wood that "one day" are going to be made into something fantastic. If I only knew what or had the time. . .
Most likely a bonfire.

Does anybody need any shelves made ?

And although you would probably never guess from the crap I post here I also have two books that I started ages ago. Both consist of one chapter - and both were began over a year ago. I got bored. Not that I really expected them to go anywhere, although I'm a total literary genius far from illiterate I really don't think I have the skills needed to put together a novel. And one of the things I have realised from blogging is that there are plenty of aspiring authors out there who are far more talented and interesting then me.
I think I'll just stick to reading books.
Or maybe just finish the four that I have by the side of my bed that haven't been looked at in so long I will actually need to start them from the beginning again.
You see the pattern here ?
Attention deficit anyone ?


Although I can be the exact opposite and get quite obsessive about things. It might take me ages to get around to doing something, but once I start something that I've put off for months I'm really into I have to get it finished and will get really irritated if anything distracts me. Which is why as well as those four books that have been there for ages there are times when I have read a 400 page book in a day.
And why it bothers me that thanks to that fucking challenge I am never going to catch up on blog reading because reading followed blogs is one of the things I am currently obsessive over.

At the moment I'm mostly feeling inspired to sew. Apart from mending trousers that Son ripped skating, replacing zips or cushion covers and curtains for my house I haven't really made anything for years, but it is the one craft that I have always done - ever since I was a child. My Mum was a seamstress so I learnt from her and began by making clothes for my dolls.
The new phase began when I recovered a chair for Lily, my friends granddaughter to have in her new bedroom, but it has progressed.
UK readers might of watched "My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding" on the TV, but for those that haven't gypsy girls usually have the most over the top, huge, spangly decorated wedding dresses. Think Disney Princess and then some and you get the idea. Lily, who is five, loves dressing up and loves the programme so we got a second hand prom dress off ebay and spent last week turning it into a gypsy wedding dress for her. I have loved every minute, I've done the sewing and my friend has spent hours sticking sequins and rhinestones to it.


When it's finished I'll post a picture, we are kind of thinking that it might just be a way to make some money too. Given the popularity of the programme and the fact that all little girls love dressing up it could catch on.
Although if that happens by the time I've made three I'll probably be bored with that too.

I only hope I don't get bored with blogging, although that's not really likely as all my friends in the real world are fed up with me complaining too busy to listen to me anymore, and I need an outlet.
Just in case something winds me up.





47 comments:

  1. I'm kind of with you when you run down the challenge, it does make things hard to follow, I find that too. I don't really agree with the challenge either so I don't choose to take part in it, although I will comment on everybody's posts no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying Yeamie, but there are just so many I've kind of given up. I'll catch up when it's over - because it'll be hilarious watching them all trying to find stuff for X and Z :)

      Delete
  2. Just seeing those first couple of lines come up on my dashboard, made me howl with laughter!

    I've got to admit, it is a fecking pain in the arse and I'm doing the bloody challenge.

    Do we, by any chance, get a sneak preview of your unfinished literary works? Or at least get to know the subject matter? I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, I don't think so. It's bad enough I have so many followers that don't appear to read or comment anymore, if I posted them the ones that do might leave me too.
      But one is based on the diary me and my mate kept when we went to Jamaica - kinda Bridget Jones with ganga, and the other is sort of the story of "the worst mistake I ever made", except the plan was to start with fact and move into fiction when "I" terrorise him.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, I don;t know why I bothered with the challenge either, but I'm too stubborn to quit it entirely, but forever remain a couple days behind. I totally understand about the attention span though. C is trying to teach me guitar. Fucking chords are boring, then he bitches I don't practice. I don't so much want to do things, but the finished project. I don't want to learn how to play the guitar, I want to play the guitar. I don;t want to write a book, though I'd like to be an author. I think there is a word for it. I'd look it up but I'm too lazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know, you're another of those that I am never going to catch up on. I'll be over when it's over.
      I get that guitar thing too. I've tried many times and I just can't get it.
      Shame we are not in the Matrix.
      "I know guitar".

      Delete
  4. I'm kind of the same. I put things off all the time, and I have plenty of half finished things. I usually start something midway something else. It's how my second book got started. I decided to post it on my blog in weekly installments to that I couldn't get out of writing it, but so fart that hasn't really encouraged me to write it either. I've also noticed a serious increase in blogging this month, and even though I read blogs regularly, it's really starting to get to me and burn me out. Then again I can't really complain, being an every day blogger 24/7. If you want to catch up on my posts just read the ones I make on Mondays. I cover a whole week in one post, makes it much easier to catch up. Also I want to sew, and I have a kit and all, but I haven't proven to be very good at it so far :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll remember that Mark...about Mondays. Can't say anything else as too busy laughing at your spelling mistake. Hahahahahaha

      Freudian slip ?

      Delete
  5. Cowgirl, sorry I haven't been by cause ya look like you need a hug...or a drink...I am in the A-Z for the second year so I can understand why YOU HAVEN'T READ ANY OF MY POSTS! You are boycotting. I get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL.
      Too right, you know I love your blog. Like I said to Jamie I'll be over when it's over.

      Delete
  6. Smoking, Eating Chocolate, Drinking Coffee and Farting sound like perfectly acceptable hobbies to me. Accumulating all of the crap needed to pursue a hobby should count as a hobby in itself. I currently have all of the fabric required for a quilt. I've had it for about 10 years. I got tired of it before I even got it all cut out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha.
      Sounds like you need to get a big cupboard.
      Welcome to the blob :)

      Delete
  7. Obviously C is for Cunt. I am not doing the A to Z blogging challenge, but I realize that my brilliant 10,000 word posts can seem a bit daunting. Actually, I think you'll like tomorrow's post. It's about boobs. I can't sew, but last week I went crazy and took all the books out of the bookcases in the family room, dusted the hell out of the shelves, dusted the books, and then rearranged them. I'm so exhausted from that feat that I haven't moved since.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me so well Janie. I will come over tomorrow, as I am well overdue a visit.
      Put the kettle on.
      If you can move that far that is....

      Delete
    2. We're not fucking drinking tea. I'll get out the vodka bottle, thank you very much.

      Delete
  8. More so than last year, the challenge has left me disjointed with my regular followers (including you). I don't get a chance to just visit like I do every other time of the year. Last month was spent getting ready and this month is just jumping on that horse and trying to get to everyone. By the time May rolls around, there will be folks I haven't visited in a while. I hope they take me back. Matthew is so very right. He has commented on every post-good for him! That's why I make an effort to go visit. Only a couple more weeks.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be waiting.
      I've actually noticed a drop in viewing numbers myself, I guess some posts will never get seen when they are lost amongst all the a-z updates and you don't post that often anyway. I am far too lazy to really do it myself.

      Delete
  9. I hear ya on the A-Z challenge! Whoever came up with that needs to be shot. I am behind on your blog because of it....and every other blog I follow! I honestly don't know how people can keep up. I mean really, who has the time to sit in front of a computer and comment on all these fucking blogs? I'm lucky if I can get around to just 5 blogs.

    I love blogging, but I love my family more. Some of my blogging friends are more caring and genuine than my real ones. but who in God's name has time for all of it? The people who have time to go comment on every blog they follow everyday have no lives and I pity them!

    I have actually been cleaning out my following list, going through and unfollowing blogs I don't care about. Don't worry though...you made the cut! You are actually one of my faves believe it or not. I just don't make it over here that much because I get lost in all the other blogging bs! I will try to get caught up sometime this week.

    And in response to your comment on my blog... I could use cowgirl on a horse named Doris to come in and save the day! I will see what I can do. I believe you requested a spanking too, if I am not mistaken! lol
    I will try to work that in as well! I'm kinda in over my head adding characters...but there is always room for one of my faves!

    Smoking, coffee and farting is something I enjoy as well. Not that big on chocolate, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment Dan :)
      I just had a clear out too - so many dormant blogs on there, the jinx of me I think. But you're right, who has that much free time ? It kind of takes the fun out of it if you feel like you have to read all of them at the moment.

      I was actually referring to your battle of words with that troll, but yeah, I'd love it if I made a post too. I will look forward to that, when you have the time of course.

      Delete
  10. If we could all just read and write poignantly instead of the drivel we force ourselves to write, this f'n challenge wouldn't be the same type of challenge. I feel like i am in school and have deadlines, or at work... but I get no degree or paycheck. I am hoping to gain some semblance of dedication and writing habit... but i already f'n write regularly, just don't share it.
    long story shorter.
    i hear ya- loud n clear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that is exactly why I would never do it.
      I love blogging, but I think if it made me feel like that I would hate it. Actually yours is one of the few that I will read, especially as you are doing it on the other blog, interested in what you have to say. But I will wait til it's over and read it all at once.

      Expect hundreds of comments.
      That'll teach you :)

      Delete
  11. Hi Jane just to let you know I'm still reading your blog and the A to Z thing is getting right on my tits to, it makes me feel lazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that !
      It makes me feel annoyed. Very.

      Delete
  12. I get over things fast too. I wonder if it's a modern disease in this instant gratification world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, but it wasn't the modern world when I was a kid.

      Delete
  13. Ha! Yes when I was all new and shiny (oooh look shiny) I tried to take up every single challenge there was in blogtown but alas and alack found that it did diddly squat for my writing, it made it a laborious bore and I ended up with the can't see the forest for the trees syndrome...therefore I too take up the gauntlet and say no...well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you just confirmed my thoughts on the subject Dan.

      Delete
  14. I am not a part of the A-Z challenge, but it is throwing me off a bit because I am trying to read everyone's posts and new ones and it is exhausting. Like you, my own friends don't listen to me anymore, so I doubt if I'll ever stop blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have given up Tracie, I will catch up with the ones I want to when it is finished. For now I'm just reading the abstainers, although they are getting lost on my dashboard.

      Delete
  15. I almost did the challenge, but then decided not to because I was worried about keeping up the pace. I never considered what it would do to my blog roll. There are so many posts every day. I am having the same issue. I can't read them all. I haven't boycotted it, but I have to choose which ones I will be reading and which ones to let go for now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. "Why do now what you can put off for six months."

    I just KNEW you and I had a lot in common.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I see your still as joyous as ever !

    You been well ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STUUUUUUU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


      Yup. And yup. About time you posted some pictures from far away exotic hot places isn't it ?

      Delete
  18. I'm amazed you didn't list wanking as one of your hobbies. I suppose it's easy to overlook the obvious. I don't like this A to Z thing either. Why allow letters of the alphabet to run your show?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh GB, that's not a hobby that's an addiction.

      Delete
  19. I hate the A-Z challenge. I chose not to participate because I never know when I'll have the time to write a post, and because, yes, it's annoying. I am following many people who are part of the challenge, and consistently write great stuff. But it's every single day. I will never catch up at this rate.

    ReplyDelete
  20. hehe ... i have 2 novels with 2 chapters in them. oh how i relate.

    to so much.

    and i didn't take the a-z challenge b/c i write every day anyway.

    or dare i say, whine every day on the internet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha.
      And that reminds me that I really must hop on over to you Andrea.
      It has been far too long...again.

      Delete
  21. I have been away from blogging for so long I have no hope in hell of ever catching up! There's an A-Z challenge? I didn't even realise, haha! I'm not sure that themed blogs make it any easier though, well at least not in my case. I'm still struggling with doing India justice and I've been to another two countries since then!

    Funny post, as always, dcg. Sorry I haven't been able to keep up with everything you've written over the past couple of months. Life is just way too hectic for my liking at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I can say is you haven't missed anything, it's far too much to keep up.

      I figured that you were busy with the new job/country etc. Drop me an email sometime :)

      Delete
  22. Don't worry about catching up with the A-Z'ers. I suspect they (we. I.) )won't write anything for several months after it is over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very good point flip. However I am going to keep visiting you in the hope of finding the key to making lots of money.

      Delete
  23. DCG, I think we could do a theme together. Since I read your comment about never hearing the male genitalia referred to as "unit" it I'd love to do something with it such as......"Tossing Slurs and Slang Across The Pond".

    It would go something like this:

    DCG: Hey, I've got some "Spotted Dick" for you.
    Me: Oh, yeah? My "Unit" ain't that bad, and it's definitely not spotted.
    DCG: Fag?
    Me: I'm not gay, but I will take a nice cigar.

    See how it would go? Let's do it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saw your comment. Look for a post in the next couple of days. I'll lead it off and we can roll with it.
      Thanks

      Delete

Tell me something I don't know.
Comments are moderated so spam me and you're going in the bin.